Maritime University of Szczecin
The Maritime University of Szczecin (MUS) is a public school continuing a long lasting tradition of sea-related education in the West Pomeranian Region, Poland. It consists of 3 faculties: Navigation, Marine Engineering, Economics and Transport Engineering offering undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programmes.
• research and development in technical and economic sciences and implementing projects (in national and international consortia) in particular in the following areas:
optimising selected working parameters and positioning systems,
consequences of ship collision,
application of EGNOS at sea,
simulation-based optimisation for electric devices operation,
marine and stationary power plant operations,
modern composites and construction materials,
lubricating and fuel oils,
air pollution, NOx and SOx emissions,
biofuels for small marine diesels,
intermodal and inland transport,
intelligent transport systems,
logistics and management,
geodesy, navigation and hydrography.
• specialised trainings for seafarers according to international standards (Global Wind Organisation) and conventions (International Maritime Organisation), courses improving qualifications of seafarers and workers of maritime onshore service providers.
Expertise in international projects financed through programmes:
• Baltic Sea Region, South Baltic, Intelligent Energy Europe, Interreg, EURATOM, European Economic Area and Norway Grants, Bonus-185, Era Net Transport.
Expertise in providing research services for:
• European Space Agency;
• ports in Kołobrzeg, Szczecin, Świnoujście, Łeba, Police and Gdańsk (most services were connected with the key Polish investments in the marine sector such as: building the LNG terminal in Świnoujście and fuel terminals in Szczecin and Świnoujście, reconstructing Świnoujście – Szczecin waterway).
Technology transfer and cooperation with business:
• MUS wholly-owned subsidiary;
• created spin-offs and spin-outs;
• cooperation with: Bilfinger Crist Offshore, Polskie LNG SA, Polskie Górnictwo Naftowe i Gazownictwo SA, and companies associated in the West Pomeranian Maritime Cluster.
• research/training vessel m/v Nawigator XXI, own dock;
• training centres: European LNG Training Centre, Marine Rescue Training Centre, Marine Training Centre,;
• teaching and research labs for diesels and auxiliary machinery;
• engine room and bridge simulators, engines, cockpits;
• electronic charts and computer labs;
• authorised AUTOCAD Training Center.